Monday, September 10, 2012

The Optimist and the Pessimist

I have had a terrible day. There I said it. This morning, I woke up early to get ready to go to school. The day, however, began great. I had the opportunity to sit in my chair and watch TV with my wife and daughter. The time came for me to leave, so I kissed my wife and daughter and walked out the door. When I sat down in my seat, I buckled the seat belt and adjusted the mirror like any good and responsible driver would. I cranked the car...and well let's just say I began day with a near heart attack. The previous day, I must have gotten a little too into Trip Lee's "The Good Life" CD. For those who are movie savvy...the volume knob goes to 11...and it was turned all the way up. After my mild heart attack, I proceeded out of the driveway. The windshield fogged up and would not relent. It was like the atmosphere was determined to blind me so that I would die. Then, waking up a bit, (whether that was from the coffee or the wild white-boy dancing to Trip Lee) I got distracted. I forgot my GPS. I hate Atlanta. I got lost. Then, while trying to navigate my way through the streets (with the help of my dad on my cell phone) I forgot to glance at my speedometer. Instead, I glanced in the rear-view mirror. Blue lights. Polite Officer. Speeding Ticket. Now...I'm lost and a criminal. I finally reached school...greek class. Lost. Speeding Ticket. Greek Class. These three= bad day. Then I read,
5Why are you downcast, O my soul?
Why so disturbed within me?
Put your hope in God,
for I will yet praise him,
my Savior and my God. 

So, as an optimist...bad days are merely opportunities to see how God can transform a bad situation into good. How? By simply remembering his mercies. 

No comments:

Post a Comment