Tuesday, June 5, 2012

The Pretentious Church

     I wrote in an earlier post on one downfall of the American Church--distraction. Through the reading of the Scriptures, specifically Jeremiah, I have come to the realization of yet another issue of faith within the American Church. This is not a fresh idea by any means, it is simply that God has revealed to me something that I, too, need to improve upon by growing in faith and in the Word. Jeremiah is boldly proclaiming a prophetic word from God to Israel, and then he addresses for a moment the state of Judah. He speaks of them, "...Judah did not return to me with her whole heart, but in pretense, declares the LORD." I was floored at the reading of this. Where down the line did we fall away from the true faith and decide to follow in pretense only? This brings me back to my current chief argument of the believer and the government. Those who claim conservatism say that they represent the values of our founding fathers, correct? They even go so far as to claim that the founding fathers were Christians, and that everything that they represent is founded on scripture. So, likewise, the conservatives are trying to preserve Biblical authority when it comes to the Constitution. Ok. Cool. My issue is not over the moral standards of a nation, but rather how we go about preserving moral values. If we say we are going to uphold a Biblical standard, then every aspect of our lives should reflect that. The way that many Conservative spokesmen present this argument of Biblical standard is unbiblical. How do they go about doing this? They slander. The quarrel. They gossip. They are rebellious and disrespectful. They say things such as, "He's not my president." They have simply done, as some fathers of our nation did, and taken parts of scripture and followed them, while dismissing others as not applying. They are obedient to God on the things that make them look good, but reject the Word when it comes to the spiritual integrity and discipline that should be reflected in their own lives. Not to be confusing, I am a moderate who leans more toward conservatism...if I must define myself by a party. I am simply saying, first and foremost, I am a follower of Christ, and if we are going to push Christian standard, then atleast follow them. When we take parts of scripture and apply them, and then reject others, we are simply following in pretense, not whole-heartedly.
     There are some who have claimed that I am merely paying lip service to God when I speak against the slandering of our leaders. To them, I say that if I speak with my vote (which I intend to do) then God knows my heart and therefore I am not paying lip service. Somehow, the remedy for lip service has become speaking loudly and angrily...and if that is the remedy for lip service, then Christ paid the Father lip service--which is a claim I would never dare to make. I am not saying that if the government decided to infiltrate their way into the church that we allow for that to happen. I am saying that until the time the government decides to regulate how the Church operates, we should respect them because as Romans 13 says, "Let every person be subject to the governing authorities. For there is no authority except from God, and those that exist have instituted by God. Therefore whoever resists the authorities, resists what God has appointed, and those who resist will incur judgment." The early Christians, under the reign of Caesar, refused to hail Caesar as LORD. Had they done so, they could have worshipped as they pleased. This, however, was a cutting line where they had to refuse to place anything higher than God. Until we reach this point (which very well could happen one day), we must submit and give respect. I must reiterate my point on respect, in Titus, Paul reminds him, "Remind them to be submissive to rulers and authorities, to be obedient, to be ready for every good work, to speak evil of no one, and to show perfect courtesy toward all people. For we ourselves were once foolish, disobedient, led astray, slaves to various passions and pleasures, passing our days in malice and envy, hated by others and hating one another. But when the goodness of God our Savior appeared, he saved us, not because of works done by us, but according to His own mercy, by the washing of regeneration and renewal of the Holy Spirit, whom he poured out on us richly through Jesus Christ our Savior, so that being justified by his grace we might become heirs according to the hope of eternal life. The saying is trustworthy and I want you to insist on these things, so that those who have believed in God may be careful to devote themselves to good works. These things are excellent and profitable for people. (boldness added) But avoid foolish controversies, genealogies, dissensions, and quarrels about the law, for they are unprofitable and worthless. as for a person who stirs up division, after warning him once and then twice, have nothing more to do with him, knowing that such a person is warped and sinful; he is self condemned." This is a big deal. Now comes to the point of true examination of our hearts.
     Are we merely pushing Biblical standard to impress people and somehow impress God? Or are we truly following whole-heartedly. I dare to say that if we were truly following, and truly following the American way as some claim, then we would spend less time slandering and more time praying for our nation. We would talk less and let our vote speak for us. The old saying is true that actions speak louder than words. I am, with a slight strain of selfishness, ready for those who claim to be defenders of the faith to start living their lives according to Scripture. It is about spiritual integrity not politics. My fear is that the Church in America has, like Judah, begun to follow Christ only in pretense. Pray for our leaders. Bless our leaders. Respect our leaders. This pleases God (according to Scripture).

No comments:

Post a Comment