Wednesday, March 13, 2013

After mourning comes the morning

Within scripture, 'the morning' is symbolically used in significant ways. The morning represents newness, refreshment, revival, renewed zeal, and a renewed sense of joy. Yet, often times, morning is mentioned after the night. The Night or Darkness is often representative of trial, tribulation, sorrow, or a time of mourning. In my life, the morning has come. The past few days, I have felt (figuratively and literally) like an insomniac who waits impatiently for sleep. I felt like I have been stumbling about in the dark. In my head, I feel like--a few times-- that I walked outside and gazed at the night sky, and screamed at the heavens, "Hurry up already!" Yesterday-- in a spiritual, emotional, and physical way-- God finally gave me rest. Better yet, the rest was probably always there...I just decided to finally go to the one who gives us rest. I was awakened to his mercies that are new every morning. I saw His glory revealed as visible as a sun rising above the trees. I felt a divine peace cover me. The joy came with the morning. Psalm 30 says,

 "I will extol you, O LORD, for you have drawn me up
  and have not let my foes rejoice over me.
 O LORD my God, I cried to you for help,
  and you have healed me.
 O LORD, you have brought up my soul from Sheol;
  you restored me to life from among those who go down to the pit.
 Sing praises to the LORD, O you his saints,
  and give thanks to his holy name.
 For his anger is but for a moment,
  and his favor is for a lifetime.
 Weeping may tarry for the night,
  but joy comes with the morning
.
 As for me, I said in my prosperity,
  “I shall never be moved.”
 By your favor, O LORD,
  you made my mountain stand strong;
 you hid your face;
  I was dismayed.
 To you, O LORD, I cry,
  and to the Lord I plead for mercy:
 “What profit is there in my death,
  if I go down to the pit?

 Will the dust praise you?
  Will it tell of your faithfulness?
 Hear, O LORD, and be merciful to me!
  O LORD, be my helper!”
 You have turned for me my mourning into dancing;
  you have loosed my sackcloth
  and clothed me with gladness,
 that my glory may sing your praise and not be silent.
  O LORD my God, I will give thanks to you forever!"


I hope that this becomes a source of comfort and encouragement for you...to know that after mourning comes the morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment